Wednesday, August 22, 2012
Career Development and KRA's
Went to a Career Development workshop run by Lynley Stone in August. It got me all fired up and rearing to go. The main point being that your career will develop so long as you take the responsibility to develop it. Wanted to put myself out there and take on a project or two. I even began to write things down within the first half hour suggesting projects I could embrace. Funny how study days always energise but the reality of the working day doesn't sustain it. This brings me to this years 'big five' a concept I've been struggling with.... I came up with five things I'd really want to get involved in and learn about and two that have been on my plan for about the time I've been a librarian. So seven things, two relate to usual duties and library displays but the other five were about learning to trouble shoot IT problems, learn from the librarians involved in specialist collections about what they do, be a part of a newletter development to promote the mobile library, investigate sources of Maori literature with a view to building a list of distributers of new resources and of course keep my professional registration up to date. Those seen as acceptable were, the usual duties and library displays, added were 'investigate new potential sources of Maori literature', 'potential mobile library newsletter in consultation with the mobile librarian' and professional registration journal maintained. At least there is the possibility that investigating new potential sources of Maori literature and the potential mobile library newsletter have some promise for a project of more depth. In sole charge at a Branch Library IT problems and reference inquiries relating to some of our specialist holdings pop up when you least expect and generally take a longer time to resolve as you are 'it' and help isn't always available. I will have to think of a way to address these two issues.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment