The article about how libraries could use Wikis was mind blowing really. Another example of what can be done if only we embrace and encourage our imaginations. The Whangarei 2CU site would be ideal for a Wiki, continually updated/edited by the community, recent relevant and local services always at ones finger tips. Indeed the concept of a 'community' Wiki or several with different focus, is very appealing. Social services, recreational events, support groups, sporting clubs etc could all be involved in putting information onto a Wiki that the whole community can acces, edit, update and refresh. A true feeling of community and community endeavour, all for one and one for all, that lets face it has been sadly lacking over recent years.
I thought the idea of subject guides was something the library could use. We have subject headings into which new items can be added and commented on. Book, CD, DVD and other media reviews are another option for adding into subject guides, or on their own. Since the Wiki doesn't belong to one writer but to all who contribute, barring some oversight to prevent chaos, anyone could write a review and make comments. Other users could come along and add their thoughts via the edit tool. This is done to some degree on online shopping sites like MightyApe (you can earn banana points which have financial value if you review a product). I don't know whether we'd want to reward users as such. Their reward could be in the pleasure of having their say..the social reward of being listened to.
I'm not too up on how you go about setting up this sort of technology but it does seem that the options are numerous. I'm not a technophobe but I'm also no wizard at this IT stuff but am a firm believer in, "if you can think it then it is only a matter of time before it happens."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment